Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Virtual Vital: Blogging

My name is Stacey and I am the librarian at Ballston Spa Middle School. My interest lies in possibly beginning a blog for our library and having more student interaction through a forum they are used to using on a daily basis. So, far, I have discovered that it takes a while to navigate around this site. I chose Blogger because I have never blogged before and it was mentioned as a good one for beginners. Next step is to figure out how to connect this to the main site, hmm...

I have a feeling it might take me longer to learn this technology than to use it on a frequent basis. A concern I do have is will there be enough time to update a blog to keep people interested? For those who blog, how time consuming is the process? 

About me: Prior to my twins being born in 2010, I would devour YA literature. Now there's much time spent Brown Bear, Winnie the Pooh and other children's books. I am a huge Disney fan and am looking forward to our first trip with my girls.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey! I'm glad that you've joined us! I apologize again for your frustrations with getting connected to the main blog! I don't have a blog connected to my library, but I think it's a great idea. Perhaps I'll get one started this summer. I used to keep a blog about my kids, and had trouble with it in the past, because I felt like it would take too long to sit down and put together and edit a post. I've decided that each post doesn't have to be perfect and doesn't have to be long. Also, they can be edited after you post, so don't stress about it being perfect (one of my issues!). I did start a blog to keep track of my professional development activities this summer, and that's listed on the blogroll on the Virtual Vitals' blog. I hope that you'll find our course useful. I'm glad to have you along! If you haven't already, stop by some of the other participants' blogs and leave them a comment. (I know some folks are having trouble with comments--give it a shot and be patient...we'll get everyone sorted out eventually.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey,

    I am new to blogging to and set up my blogspot using Blogger as well. Like you, I am concerned with the amount of time that it might take to maintain a blog since I often have difficulty finding time to update my library's website.

    The difference for me so far is that using the blog is so much easier than using frontpage to update my webpage. I have decided that I will attempt to blog something once each week and I won't be worried about writing volumes. If I can just post a sentence or two that should be enough. My big concern is getting students, staff and parents to follow it. But, I have chosen this PD to learn how to make it work for me and my library.

    Hope you are enjoying the summer with your twins!
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete